Skip to main content

Glover's Journey

“Over the course of the several weeks that passed since Glover’s rescue, no fewer than nine abolitionists, plus their family members, had fed, clothed, and sheltered Joshua Glover while moving him, at great risk to themselves, around an area of the country-side encompassing four counties.”

Finding Freedom, Ruby West Jackson and Walter T. McDonald

Glover's Journey Map

A map of locations Joshua Glover stopped at on his escape to Canada


Glover’s first stop on the Underground Railroad was the home of Winchel Bacon in Waukesha, then known as “that abolitionist hole.” Bacon quickly realized that Glover’s stay would be longer than anticipated. Glover would need time to heal from his wounds and long journey. The group decided to move Glover to the farm of Moses Tichenor, a family friend, that evening as it would be safer for an extended stay.


The farm of Moses Tichenor was located two miles south of the village of Waukesha. Joshua Glover stayed there for an unknown period of time, recovering until his next appointed agent, C.C. Olin would bring him back to Racine.


After a three hour, 20-mile trip from Waukesha, Glover and Olin reached the home of Richard Ela of Rochester late in the evening. Mr. Ela and his wife Nancy made the travelers a meal and hitched a team to Olin’s wagon so the two men could continue in the last leg of their trip to Racine.


Olin writes of his next stop with Glover, “We met with no resistance on our way and about 7 o’clock a.m. I deposited Joshua Glover at the house of Rev. Mr. A.P. Kinney, a Congregational Minister. There he was protected by the good people of Racine until some safer means could be provided…” Reverend Kinney’s home was located at the corner of Liberty and Marquette Streets, close to the harbor allowing Glover a short trip to a potential ship. It is not known if Glover was harbored in Kinney’s home or the Congregational Church three blocks away.

Although he had been safely moved back to Racine, according to the initial plan, it was unsafe to keep Glover in one place for too long. Even with his former owner Benammi Garland returning to St. Louis, many were eager for the reward attached to Glover’s return. With no immediate ship to take him to Canada, Glover would travel around Racine and Walworth counties for the next month.


It was reported that Glover spent time at an unknown farm outside of the city.


Glover’s departure from the unknown farm took him to the home of Dr. Joel Cooper in Burlington. This home was ideal as it contained a room under the kitchen that was used to hide runaway slaves there. The previous owner, Silas Peck, who had also hidden slaves there, put in this feature.


Following his sojourn with Dr. Cooper, Glover was brought to Spring Prairie, in Walworth County. Glover stayed first at the home of Deacon Britten. While in reprieve at Britten’s he “had been on the move for at least two weeks. During that time his wounded and travel-worn fugitive had been hauled around the countryside a total of more than one hundred miles, while presently being little more than twenty miles from the site of his capture in Racine.”


Dr. Jesse Mills and his wife Mary next sheltered Glover, letting him stay in an unused room in the home. Glover was surprised one afternoon by two young girls living in the house that let their curiosity lead them to his quarters.


The second-to-last stop for Glover on his passage through the Underground Railroad was said to be at the home of David Pratt, although Sherman Booth, almost 50 years after the event, identified (David’s brother) Samuel Pratt as the one who sheltered Glover. Perhaps like Mr. Beacon and Mr. Tichenor, Glover arrived at one home and was moved to another for safer keeping.


Glover’s last stop on the Underground Railroad was the warehouse of Dutton and Raymond on Racine’s harbor where he awaited a ship to take him to Canada.